The mediation service is an independent service providing support to families of children with disabilities, special educational needs and Local Authorities.
The aim of the service is to assist parties to resolve dispute in relation to Education Health and Care plans to prevent the need for parties to progress their dispute through the Special Educational Needs Tribunal.
Criteria for access.
Parents of, or young people with Special Educational Needs can access the service in any of the following circumstances:
- a decision by their Local Authority not to carry out an assessment for an Education, Health and Care plan (EHC)
- a decision by their Local Authority not to draw up an EHC plan
- after someone has received a final EHC plan or amended plan
- after a decision not to amend an EHC plan, or
- after a decision to cease an EHC plan.
This is a targeted service for families of children with Special educational Needs and/or Disability who may be in dispute with their Local Authority in relation to Education, Health and Care Plans.
Cost to access the service
There are no costs attached to accessing this service.