Skip to main content

Travel and transport

Information in this section will help you to find out what support may be available to you (young person) or your child.  Information is also included for services offered and operated by local travel companies.  You can either "View all services" or use the Category buttons to narrow your search.

Together for Children and Sunderland City Council cannot recommend or endorse any providers or services listed.  Please read our full disclaimer here

We have provided some information below which you may find useful:

Travel from Home to School (SEND)

Children or young people with special educational needs and/or disabilities often live some distance away from their education setting and may need help to be able to travel there.

If you (a young person) or your child has a an Education, Health and Care Plan, or have a medical condition that affects mobility then they may be eligible for help with transport.

Together for Children are bound by statutory duties within Legislation to provide assistance to young people who meet the eligibility criteria set out within the attached Home to School Transport Policy.

Together for Children currently assists young people and families in a variety of ways including; the provision of dedicated taxi/minibus transport, Free Travel Permits, access to an Independent Travel Training programme and a School Transport Mileage Rate.

For more information see Home to School Transport (SEND) or the attached Home to School Transport Policy.

Travel from Home to College (SEND)

Together for Children encourages safe independent travel wherever possible.  Walking and cycling promotes healthy living and the use of public transport is recommended in accordance with current initiatives and enviornmental issues.

Where the use of public transport is not suitable to student needs, alternative transport may be provided subject to various criteria which is outlined in the attached "Post 16 Transport Policy".

In order to qualify for assistance a student must:

  • Be attending a qualifying placement
  • Reside within the area of Sunderland City Council
  • Be aged between 16 - 25 years
  • Have an Education, Health and Care Plan outlining his/her difficulties or have a medical condition which affects travel (medical advice must be provided)
  • Be at a college placement over 3 miles from their home address

For more information see "Home to College Transport (SEN)".

Back to top