Skip to main content

Choosing somewhere to live

In this section you will find information and housing options that can help you plan for your future housing needs, help you find somewhere to live or support you in a time of crisis.


Frequently Asked Questions

What is available when choosing somewhere to live aged 55+?

Extra Care
There are several different Extra Care schemes in Sunderland.  Please look at our list of services in the Extra Care section in Choosing somewhere to live.

To apply you must be aged 55 or over and require supported or more appropriate housing, or need a level of personal care, to be considered for Extra care housing.

Sheltered housing
There are several different sheltered accommodation schemes in Sunderland.  Please look at our list of services in the Sheltered Housing section in Choosing somewhere to live.

Supported living
There are several different supported living schemes in Sunderland.  Please look at our list of services in the Supported Living section in Choosing somewhere to live.

It’s suitable for people with all levels of disability as the support is tailored to individual needs.

What is the difference between Nursing and Residential Care?

These are the 2 main types of care homes, some offer accommodation and help with personal care and others offer nursing care as well. 

A care home registered to provide personal care will offer support, ensuring basic personal needs are taken care of. Some care homes are registered to provide nursing care and these are often referred to as nursing homes.

Residential homes for young adults provides care and support for younger adults (18 – 65 years) with severe physical disabilities, learning disabilities, brain injury resulting from an accident, or mental health problems.

There are several different residential and nursing schemes in Sunderland.  Please look at our list of services in the Residential care and Nursing care section in Choosing somewhere to live.

Where can I get advice about housing?

If you are seeking general housing advice and are not at risk of homelessness within 56 days please speak to your local advice provider.  You can find more information on the Council's Housing advice web page.

If you are looking for a home or moving into the area you can find more information on the Council's Find a home web page.

What can I do if I am homeless or at risk of being homeless?

There are ways you can prevent yourself from becoming homeless you can find out more information on the Council's Homelessness web pages.

If you need housing advice or at risk of becoming homeless it's important that you seek advice as soon as possible. Details of how to do this can be found on the Council's Homeless services web page.

If you are aged 16-17years and homeless you can find more information on the Together for Children's web pages.

Severe Weather Emergency Protocol (SWEP)
During extremely cold weather specifically when temperatures fall to 0 degrees or lower for three days, special measures come into action with the Severe Weather Emergency Protocol.

When this comes into force, the local authority and other organisations in the area will work to offer extra temporary accommodation where possible.  No one should be faced with sleeping rough, especially in freezing conditions. 

During the winter period, in addition to the current provisions available, Sunderland City Council are working with the Salvation Army to provide additional safe and warm emergency accommodation with hot food and drinks.

You can contact Sunderland City Council on 0191 520 5551 for further advice and assistance if you are faced with homelessness.

Back to top